Saturday 30 December 2017

Trauma Stewardship

I recently read Trauma Stewardship - An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others by Lipsky and BurkIt wasn't an easy read and is not a particularly well written book, but it did shine a light on challenges of staying healthy in the midst the heartbreak that is so prevalent here.

It’s not that any one scenario has been overly traumatic, but there is a steady dose of suffering, death and frustrating experiences in this type of work. The most beneficial section of the book was the list of “trauma exposure” responses, as I recognized some of my own tendencies in the list. Here are the ten that resonated the most with me including my personal examples and each with a supporting comic illustration from the book.


1) Feeling helpless and hopeless - thinking that what you are doing doesn't really matter in the end (systematically).



2) A sense that one can never do enough - but that you must still try to do enough.



3) Hyper-vigilance - double checking and micromanaging.



4) Inability to embrace complexity - preferring the simplistic explanations in my mind like "they just don't care" over "there is probably   a cultural explanation for their lack of urgency."



5) Minimizing - My wife and kids can out me on this one whenever I ignore their complaints and explain they "don't know how bad some people have it."



6) Chronic Exhaustion - I am trying to give myself space on this, learning from a senior surgeon that you just don't have the same stamina in this climate (I take 12 minute power naps after lunch almost every day).



7) Inability to Listen / Deliberate Avoidance - I am prone to this when facing patients who I can't offer a quick solution to and prefer to have someone else deal with them or make the interaction as short as possible.




8) Sense of persecution - thinking that my credentials back home carry little weight here, I just have to "fit into the system" and I don't get respected if I can't communicate well.




9) Anger and Cynicism - I really try to avoid this but I suspect this tendency is proportional to time spent here. New people come in and see the beauty and the hope. The long-term teammates buried their founding colleague out by the soccer field....life is hard... there is opposition around every corner.



10) Grandiosity: An Inflated Sense of Importance Related to One’s Work - I want to take credit for good outcomes but not bad ones.





4 comments:

  1. Very insightful and interesting. May God continue to be your refuge and strength!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to some of this...good for you to plow through a poorly written yet helpful book. Paul Miller's Love Walked Among Us is my most recent amazing read in how to take steps toward people even when we don't feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sending this Nate. Appreciate your transparency, and gives us some specific things to pray for too.

    ReplyDelete